We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Advocacy Specialist
Job ID: JOB0084180
Location: Minna, Niger
Duration: 12 Months
- The role involves working closely with and supporting one or more VSO Partners and / or civil society organizations (CSOs) as they develop advocacy initiatives to bring about policy changes in Niger State in relation to agriculture and market access for the poor.
- Support and develop the capacity of one or more IMA4P Nigeria Partners in the field of advocacy and engagement with national/regional Government on issues of policy and legislative reform in keeping with the needs of the project
- Provide expert advice and support on advocacy and campaigning strategies and community based approaches.
- Work closely with Partners, CSOs and farmer collectives to develop evidence-based, comprehensive advocacy strategies and implementation plans.
- Strengthen the capacity of staff of partner organizations (CSOs) relating to organisational capacity for effective advocacy.
- Identify opportunities for advancing CSOs’ and wider voice and standing with the Government. Coordinate work to ensure CSOs take advantage of these opportunities to ensure positive outcomes
- Contribute to and support the leadership and coordination of the sectors, thematic advocacy including identifying the key issues in brief, advocacy action plan, talking points, information kits, etc;
- Support media and communication efforts on the implementation of advocacy strategy.
Key Performance Indicators
- Participation in the development of a strategy or strategies for engagement in national or regional debates on policy issues relating to democratic reform
- Effective and context-sensitive support for the implementation of advocacy initiatives
- Advocacy strategy and implementation plan produced to the satisfaction of stakeholders
- Key issues and advocacy messages developed and rolled out
- Capacity of partner staff relating to advocacy greatly improved, as measured by the partner organisation.
- Communication materials and community engagement advocacy tools developed.
- Government partners engaged and sensitized to be responsive to the voices of CSOs and communities
- IMA4P profile raised
- Objectives will be confirmed in three way discussions between the volunteer, employer and VSO in the first three months of the placement.
Building and Sustaining working relationships:
- The social skills to build and actively maintain working relationships thJob Vacancy atfoster teamwork and collaboration with others for the benefit of a common goal.
Open Minded and Respectful:
- A non-judgemental approach thJob Vacancy atvalues other people and culture.
Seeking and Sharing Knowledge:
- Recognition thJob Vacancy atlearning is a two-way and continuous process.
Facilitating Positive Change:
- The ability to analyse problems and develop lasting solutions in line with VSO approaches.
- A flexible approach and the ability to adapt behaviour to different situations.
- The self-confidence to work with a variety of situations, diverse people and ambiguity.
Skills and Knolwedge
- A University degree in Social Sciences, International Development, or related field. A minimum of three years professional experience in a related sector or context.
- Proven track record of delivering successful policy-related advocacy strategies within a development context.
- Experience in lobbying, advocacy and/or influencing a range of decision-makers e.g. national governments or inter-government organisations.
- Understanding of a wide variety of advocacy and social accountability programme approaches, preferably with expertise in undertaking applied research.
- Excellent communication and social skills, the ability to work closely with a variety of stakeholders in a developing country and non-english speaking context.
- Ability to work independently as well as with multiple stakeholders in a time-pressured environment.
- Ability to work both as team member and independently
- Demonstrated success in engaging with and mobilizing communities related to social accountability and development
- Proven ability to create and maintain effective working relationships with high level stakeholders
- Experience in capacity strengthening. Training and advisory work
- Experience of Monitoring and Evaluation, particularly of advocacy projects
- Awareness and sensitivity of political/socio-cultural context of Africa
Application Closing Date
30th November, 2016.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online