Leiden Observatory is offering J.H. Oort and NOVA Scholarships in Astronomy for international students. The scholarships are meant for students wish to obtain their MSc degree in Astronomy (Research specialisation) at Leiden University.
The Astronomy Research specialisation is a two-year programme, leading to the MSc degree in Astronomy. It consists of advanced astronomy courses, two research projects in astronomy, and courses on science topics related to astronomy.
Leiden Observatory is a vibrant university astronomy department with a distinguished history. It has both a strong international reputation, and is widely known to turn out masters and doctoral students of the highest quality.
Applicants must have proof of sufficient proficiency in English, evidenced by appropriate language test: IELTS: minimum 6.5, TOEFL: internet based 90 and Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE), minimum grade C.
Course Level: Scholarships are available for pursuing MSc program Vacancy at Leiden University.
Study Subject(s): Scholarships are awarded in the field of astronomy.
Scholarship Award: The scholarships are for one year, with renewal for a second year conditional on successful completion of the first year. For a full scholarship the tuition fee will be reduced to the amount of the home fee and you will receive an allowance of up to € 11,000 per year for living costs. Partial scholarships may also be awarded.
Scholarship can be taken in the Netherlands
Eligibility: The scholarships are meant for students who have a BSc degree (or its equivalent) in astronomy or physics, and wish to obtain their MSc degree in Astronomy (Research specialisation) at Leiden University. Successful candidates must be of outstanding academic merit and in need of financial support.
Nationality: Scholarships are open for foreign (i.e. non-Dutch) students.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicants must have a BSc degree (or its equivalent) in astronomy.
Test Requirement: No
English Language Requirement: Proof of sufficient proficiency in English, evidenced by appropriate language test:
- IELTS: minimum 6.5
- TOEFL: internet based 90
- Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE), minimum grade C
How to Apply: MSc applicants who wish to be considered for an Oort or NOVA scholarship must do the following before the deadline of October 15 (Starting in February) or February 1 (Starting in September):
- Apply for admission to the MSc program in astronomy through the online application system. Note that only applications that are completed before the deadline are guaranteed full consideration.
- Send a brief statement by email to masters-at-strw.leidenuniv.nl. The statement should include full contact information and it should motivate why the candidate satisfies the two conditions of a) outstanding academic merit and b) need for financial support.
- Oort Scholarship only: October 15, 2016 (if you wish to start in February 2017)
- Oort and Nova Scholarships: February 1, 2017 (if you wish to start in September 2017)