The awards aim to encourage science, innovation and technology in rural industries and help to advance the careers of young scientists, researchers and innovators through national recognition of their research ideas.
The programme is coordinated by the Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Sciences (ABARES), within the Australian Government Department of Agriculture and Water Resources.
Course Level: Awards are provided to undertake a project on an innovative or emerging scientific issue, including biophysical and social sciences.
Study Subject: Awards are provided in agriculture, fisheries or forestry-related industries.
Scholarship Award: The following awards will be offered in 2017:
- Industry category Science Awards: There is one Award (grant) available in each industry category. Applicants can apply in more than one category but only one Award will be made. The maximum support is $22,000 inc GST. The relevant judging panels will be advised if an applicant has applied for more than one category.
- Minister for Agriculture and Water Resources Award: One individual industry category Science Award recipient will also receive the Minister for Agriculture and Water Resources Award, with additional funding to undertake an extended research project.
Scholarship can be taken in Australia
Eligibility: Applications are open to young people between 18 and 35 years, who are working, employed or studying in agriculture, fisheries or forestry-related industries. To be eligible, applicants must
- Be between the ages of 18 and 35 (inclusive) on Friday 14 October 2016.
- Be Australian citizens or permanent residents (proof required) by the closing date.
- Be working, employed or studying in agriculture, fisheries or forestry-related industry (including food and sustainable natural resource management). Proof such as a letter of employment, scholarship or pay slip may be requested.
- Not be employed by a sponsoring organisation in the award category they are applying for, and not have an immediate family member (eg a sibling or parent) who is employed by a sponsoring organisation in their selected award category.
- Not be employed by an Australian Government agency classified as a Non-Corporate Commonwealth Entity under the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act 2013.
Nationality: Australian citizens can apply for these awards.
How to Apply: Applicants should ensure that all parts of the application form are completed and signed prior to lodgement. Applications must be submitted to Science Awards and
- Be submitted using the 2017 application form
- Be lodged by 14 October 2016.
- Be supplied in Word or pdf formats only.
Application Deadline: The deadline for application is 14 October 2016.