WFP is seeking individuals with experience working in culturally sensitive, remote, and complex environments, to fill the position below job atthe P3 level, based in Maiduguri, Nigeria:
Job Title: Budget & Programming Officer (Pipeline)
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Under the general supervision and guidance of the Deputy Country Director or the designate the Budget & Programming Officer (Pipeline), P3 will be responsible for the following key duties:
- Participate in the development and implementation of plans, policies and procedures for budget and programming activities (including PSA, Management Plan, Project budget, extra budgetary, ensuring thjob atobjectives are achieved in compliance with corporate, regional and functional strategies.
- Create and review project budget plans and monitor ongoing project performance against budget, ensuring adherence to guidance and policies, and providing financial analysis and advice to optimise resources.
- Monitor and provide advice on actions related to project closure and resource transfer.
- Monitor and provide advice on fund utilisation and advance financing, loan and borrowing, repayment and refinancing arrangements; alerting Country/Regional Directors to approaching deadlines for unassigned funds and potential resource shortfalls/surpluses, and proposing appropriate solutions.
- Monitor and manage the resource pipeline to maximise operational effectiveness, adhering to standards and processes, and providing advice on resource allocations based on severity of pipeline shortfalls using relevant pipeline tools.
- Contribute to the preparation of food-demand plans to support management and usage of corporate Global Commodity Financial Facility, and provide information and advice to guide Headquarters/Regional Bureau decision-making when multiple projects compete for the same stock.
- Ensure correct budget and project documentation is created, and ensure relevant resource data is recorded in internal systems for reference, in line with WFP standards and procedures.
- Coordinate and prepare accurate reports, to provide consistent information for stakeholders, and to identify trends/issues and propose solutions thjob atsupport decision-making by senior management.
- Analyse data and propose well-researched ideas to senior officers for improvement to systems, techniques, tools, processes and procedures to better monitor and manage budgets and funds.
- Build capacity of WFP staff in budgeting, fund management and operational planning, through preparing and delivery training, coaching, guidelines and manuals.
- Represent the unit job atinternal meetings/committees/working groups as required, in order to contribute to discussion of key issues from a budget and resource programming perspective.
- Manage junior officers/staff to ensure appropriate development and enable high performance.
- Contribute to preparedness actions, providing technical recommendations and guidance and monitoring the management of financial risks.
- Other as required.
Qualifications & Experience Required
- Advanced University degree in Business Administration, Finance, Economics or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
- Translating operational requirements into financial information.
- Preparing budgets and reports for management.
- Produced consolidated pipeline information, budgets, supply chain and operational plans.
- Reviewing plans and budgets.
Technical Skills & Knowledge:
- In-depth knowledge of internal controls and proper accounting procedures
- Strong Performance Budgeting, Reporting and Analytical skills
- Sound Resource and Performance Management skills
- Supply Chain and Operations Knowledge
- Fluency (level C) in English language.
- Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or WFP’s working language, Portuguese.
Terms and Conditions
- Selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one year and eligible for the Rest and Recuperation (R&R) scheme.
- He/she will be required to travel abroad sometime to remote and difficult locations.
- WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, pension plan, and medical insurance. For more details please visit: icsc.un.org
Application Closing Date
30th September, 2016.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Candidate should click on the link above
- Step 1: Register and create your online CV.
- Step 2: Click on “Description” to read the position requirements and “Apply” to submit your application.
- You must complete Step 1 and 2 in order for your application to be considered for this vacancy.
- Qualified African national and female applicants are especially encouraged to apply.