Our company serves approximately 160 million people by producing and distributing a unique portfolio of quality brands, bringing passion to marketplace implementation, and demonstrating leadership in corporate social responsibility.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Engineering & Project Safety Manager
Job Reference: EPSM/09/2016
Functional areas: Quality and Sustainability
Department: Quality & Sustainability
- The Engineering & Projects Safety Manager reports to the Country Safety Manager.This position will be responsible for implementing and/or administering safety programs during the life of engineering/construction projects.
- Day to day, the engineering and projects safety manager will be involved in making sure safety design requirements of engineering and construction projects, equipment and machinery are met.
The Key Responsibilities of the role are:
- Conducts compliance evaluations of equipment, structures, and work in progress to ensure thjob atregulatory environmental, safety, and health standards of the company and all applicable codes are followed.
- Verifies and ensures thjob atall field project activities are performed according to the Company safety policy, regulations, standards and procedures, promoting all preventive and corrective actions as required.
- Reviews projects safety management plans, method statements, construction drawings and risk assessments .
- Reviews plans and specifications for new machinery and equipment to make sure they meet safety requirements.
- Identify and correct potential hazards by inspecting facilities, machinery, and safety equipment.
- Guides engineers in how to incorporate safety requirements into the engineering project designs.
- Oversees safety issues during project development.
- Prepares and reviews technical reports, correspondence, and safety procedures.
- Promotes and encourages sustained implementation and continuous improvement of best safety practice, culture and performance.
- Checks thjob atcontractors perform their activities in accordance with all the safety applicable procedures, regulation and standards and contractual Safety requirements.
- Promoting all necessary action to ensure thjob atthe said procedures and regulations are observed.
- Organize, plan and participate in periodic safety walk-through, assessments,inspections and audits on site, prepare all the relevant reports, action plans, verify the follow up and the timely execution of the corrective action.
- Organize and participate in all relevant project sites safety meetings, prepares the relevant minutes of meetings (MOM), Lead weekly Safety meetings with contractors.
- Organize in case of work incidents/accidents a full investigation of the event, finalized to the identification and execution of corrective measures to avoid re-occurrence.
- Prepare and update the projects safety statistics, verify the performance versus the project and corporate safety objective, targets and performance indicators; propose recovery plan in case of mismatch.
- Prepare Safety training materials; procedures & processes for construction and Engineering Operations. .
- Participate in HAZOP, HAZID studies and JSA risk assessments to mitigate Safety risks.
- Prepare company and project documentations (Plans, procedures, risk assessments etc.) regarding Engineering and Construction Operations.
- Control, approve and audit of safety documentations of all contractors and their subcontractors.
- Organize general Safety auditing system for all contractors and their subcontractors.
- Organize and also execute site audits for all contractors and their subcontractors.
- Prepare audit reports and record open item to an action item list for tracking.
- Prepare Contractor evaluation reports.
- Prepare Safety checklists for Project sites & Engineering inspections.
- Prepare training matrix, procedure and materials for all project employees.
- Prepare monthly & weekly reports including KPIs for Contractors.
- Prepare Safety incentive system for the Project including subcontractors Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Desired Candidate Profile
- B.Sc. or HND in Industrial, Electrical, Mechanical or Chemical Engineering or other related fields.
- Desired candidate must be a member ISPON (Institute of Safety Professionals of Nigeria); Recognized Health & Safety qualification (OHSAS 18001 and NEBOSH International General Certificate in Occupational Safety & Health).
- Membership of any of the following bodies would also be an advantage; Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE)/ National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)/ International Institute of Risk & Safety Management. (IIRSM)
- Safety/Engineering/ Construction/ Project Management experience (Minimum of 5 years) within a beverage/soft drinks or similar process manufacturing / Construction/ Engineering Company.
- In depth knowledge of key Health & Safety practices and associated legislative requirements job atnational level essential.
- Ability to investigate and identify root causes behind H&S issues/incidents and develop pragmatic options for resolution.
- Safety Management and Technical understanding
Project Management skills:
- Able to review Designs, Specifications and Plans
- Good time management skills essential.
- Ability to organize and manage mixed ability teams in order to solve specific H&S related problems.
- Good awareness of organizational structures for effective ownership and management of Health& Safety; Job design; performance management.
- Audio/visual skills in presentation of information and training material are essential.
- Enthusiastic with the ability to drive and enforce standards and influence people.
- Ability to design and deliver training courses to different levels of Employees and Contractors.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to develop good relations job atall levels both internally and externally.
- Post holder must be highly motivated and flexible in approach, with ability to prioritize, plan and implement his or her own work with little direct supervision.
- Excellent command of English language required – written and spoken.
- Willingness to travel within and outside the country.
- Good understanding of CAD/CAM Design application, MS Office Applications
- Experience working in high-stress environments and a proven ability to exercise judgment even in a crisis.
Application Closing Date
28th September, 2016.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online