African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Executive Assistant to the President, PCSC
Location: Abidjan, Cote D’ivoire
Position N°: 50069658
- The President, plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the ADB and the ADF.
- The President supervises several Departments and Units including Office of the President (PRST0); Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department (PIAC); Office of the Auditor General (PAGL); Group Risk Management Directorate (PGRM); General Counsel and Legal Services Department (PGCL); Communication and External Relations Department (PCER); Staff Integrity and Ethics Office (PETH) and Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat (PSEG)
The Hiring Department
- The Office of the President assists the President in planning, supervising and managing the business of the Bank Group.
- The Office of the President monitors, coordinates and supervises the implementation of various Bank programs based on the global or regional trends and emerging knowledge in the major development areas of agriculture, human and social development, energy and climate; and gender and civil society.
- The Office examines the impact of the Bank Group country and regional programs in responding to existing and emerging development trends and needs in the regional member countries, identifies new areas for business growth; leads and coordinates the preparation of technical and knowledge briefs for the President’s internal and external engagements; and monitors the effective and timely implementation of Presidential instructions, Board and Management decisions.
- Under other activities, the Office prepares and organizes the President’s missions and represents the Bank at international conferences and on working missions to member countries; organizes meetings with Bank’s Senior Management; reviews, evaluates and gives advice on communication and interaction between the Presidency and the various organs of the Bank; provides effective administrative and logistic support to facilitate implementation of the President’s programs; and prepares, monitors audit reports and follows up on the implementation of the recommendations of the reports
- The Job of Executive Assistant to the President, which falls under General Support Services that provides administrative support for the smooth running of the President Office, ensures that the President is freed from all tasks and administration, which could otherwise impede the efficient discharge of higher duties and responsibilities.
- Executive Assistant to President’s job facilitates and contributes to the success of the President in performing his role as a key functionary in the Bank’s strategy for the achievement of the High 5s.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance and overall supervision of the Chief of Staff and Director of Cabinet, the Executive Assistant to the President will perform the following:
- Devise and maintain office systems to deal efficiently with paper flow; organize and store paperwork, documents and computer-based information;
- Track and follow up on documents: deal with incoming email, faxes, post and correspondence;
- Distribute Papers from the Senior Vice President, Vice-Presidents and Board and maintain a follow up system.
- Organize and attend to the President’s multiple engagements as required such as conference bridges, appointments, luncheons and other official events;
- Ensure that the President has all his materials for these meetings and engagements through provision of Agenda, minutes and supporting documents;
- Ensure travel, visas, accommodation and post-travel claims are done working with travel assistant and special assistant, occasionally, travel with the President to provide general assistance;
- Coordinate visits of senior management as needed, which includes in particular; the setting up of appointments, arranging logistics and transportation;
- Handle internal, external and general enquiries: screen telephone calls and requests as appropriate; welcome and look after visitors;
- Organize and maintain with daily accuracy the Schedule of the President in collaboration with the Chief of Staff
- Provide administrative assistance to the President’s office as required; these include the management of the filing and retrieval system, correspondence to the President;
- Screen incoming calls to ensure the effective use of the President’s time.
Support to analytical work:
- Take notes at meetings, write letters, prepare minutes – as requested;
- Ensure adherence to African Development Bank Group and protocol guidelines and policies for all administrative undertakings;
- Respond to inquiries from Bank executives, liaise with clients and other staff, facilitate coordination with other vice-presidencies; partner and work with other Assistants and groups in different locations;
- Hold at least a Bachelor’s Degree or its equivalent in Business Management, Commerce, Administration or related discipline;
- Training in report writing/administration/office management;
- Have a minimum of five (5) years of relevant and practical experience, in an executive office in a support function;
- Experience in supporting operations of international organizations is preferable;
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage;
- Innovation and creativity;
- Good Communication;
- Problem solving;
- Client orientation;
- Team working and relationships;
- Operational effectiveness and efficiency and good planning skills;
- Track record in excellent scheduling and management of program at senior executive level (daily schedule and long-term schedule).
- Inter-cultural sensitivity;
- Able to work under pressure and to prioritize in the dynamic setting of an international and multicultural setting;
- Skills in handling internal and external requests efficiently and professionally;
- Excellent sense of initiative, confidentiality, enthusiasm, and team spirit;
- Has high level of professionalism, work ethic, discretion and tact
- Organization – Time-keeping, Space and Task Skills;
- Broad knowledge of Business Concepts;
- Good knowledge of Administration and Office Support Services including Systems and Procedures;
- Proficiency in use of standard office equipment e.g., Computer, fax, photocopier, scanner, etc.;
- Advanced proficiency to quickly adapt to new technology by acquiring required skills;
- Ability to deploy sound judgment and make reasonable decisions in the absence of direction;
- Ability to deploy knowledge, skills and abilities to work effectively without constant and direct supervision or guidance;
- while working with diverse workforce;
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other;
- Bilingualism is advantageous;
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, SAP and/or other integrated document management systems etc.).
Application Closing Date
6th November, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: This position does not attract international terms and conditions (the post holder will be considered as a local staff and will not have international terms and conditions of employment).