We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Manager
Location: Abuja Office
Reports To: Head of Operations
Supervises: Finance Staff
- The Finance Manager is responsible for managing the CP’s Finance Department. As a member of the country program’s leadership team, s/he is responsible for ensuring the robustness of the CP’s financial management systems and processes.
- S/he is in charge of financial reporting, financial grant management and compliance, communication, capacity building of finance staff as well as capacity strengthening of sub recipients in the area of financial management. The Finance Manager designs improves and maintains effective financial systems and processes.
- In line with CRS’ strategic priority to reinforce an organizational culture of high performance and accountability, s/he works with CP management to ensure thjob atthe country program maintains a high level of resource stewardship and strict financial accountability.
- The Finance Manager serves as the principal advisor to the CP leadership on all matters relating to financial management. S/he plays a leadership role in shaping the country program’s processes and practices in the area of financial management.
- The Finance Manager prepares financial information and interprets results to promote stewardship and manage risks.
- S/he stays abreast of changes in the financial operating environment and promotes policies and processes to ensure the country program adapts to these changes. S/he strives to enhance collaboration between Finance, Programming, and other departments.
- S/he ensures the Finance team consistently delivers a high standard of customer service.
- As a change agent, s/he champions, supports and oversees the implementation of new financial strategy, processes, tools, policies and procedures.
Financial Management and Analysis:
- Ensure thjob atthe country program’s financial accounting environment is in compliance with CRS’ policies and procedures, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), donors’ rules and regulations and legal requirements.
- Ensure the overall accuracy of financial information recorded in the Country Program’s general ledger and reflected on the country program’s trial balance and other financial reports submitted to HQ, donors and other stakeholders.
- Oversee the development and implementation of robust local financial systems and processes (e.g., payroll and cash management) as appropriate.
- Ensure thjob atall assets including cash, investments,inventories, accounts receivable and fixed assets are accurately reflected on the trial balance.
- Oversee the execution and timely posting of all financial transactions, including intra-agency and suspense transactions.
- Proactively develop financial forecast analysis to assist in areas such as management of currency risk and cost allocation rates.
- Oversee monthly analysis of the country program’s trial balance and other financial reports. Such reports include but are not limited to budget comparison reports, aging reports, grant liability reports, efficiency reports and currency exposure reports.
- Lead the process of analysisand interpretation of financial reports to ensure thjob ataccurate financial data is provided to budget managers to inform decision making.
- Oversee the reconciliation of fixed assets’ physical counts with SunSystems records.
- Ensure financial records and transactions, including those for charges received via the Intra-Agency process, are adequately supported as per CRS’ Documentation Policy and Document Retention Policy with due consideration of local laws and donors’ documentation requirements.
Planning & Budget Administration:
- In close collaboration with the Head of Programming (HOP), Head of Operations (HoOP) and other senior managers, leads the preparation and submission of the Annual Program Plan (APP) and the Current Year Spending plan updates. As such, the Finance Manager is the focal point for eBudget maintenance and management job atthe CP level.
- Ensure thjob atthe country program’s board approved budgets and subsequent amendments are correctly recorded into SunSystems. Ensure budget amendment processes are in accordance with CRS’ policies and procedures.
- Support Program Managers in developing budgets for new programs/projects and revisions of existing projects. Ensure thjob atreasonable estimates of direct cost andshared direct cost are used in budgets, based on historical data and current market conditions. In addition, s/he ensures thjob ataccurate indirect cost and support services rates are used in accordance with policies and guidelines.
- Provide the Senior Management Team and Program Managers with regular and timely budget comparison reports. Work closely with the CR, HoOP, Head of Programming and budget managers to provide analyses and action plans thjob ataddresssignificant variances between approved budgets and actual expenses.
- Analyze and review quarterly cash forecasts submitted to HQ, to ensure efficient management of cash flows. In addition, ensure thjob atcash forecasts submitted to donors are accurate and based on proper cash flow planning.
- Ensure availability of sufficient, but not excessive, cash in the CP’s operating account, by establishing cash balance monitoring systems to trigger timely accounts’ replenishments.
- Ensure bank accounts are managed in accordance with finance and treasury policies. Coordinate the opening and closure of bank accounts and maintain an accurate list of bank signatories. In addition, keep HQ/Treasury informed of changes in bank signatories.
- Ensure thjob atmonthly bank reconciliations are performed in accordance with the Bank Reconciliation Procedure for all bank accounts and approved bank reconciliation forms are submitted to HQ/Finance on timely basis.
- Monitor currency exchange rates and alert management when/if unusual or unexpected changes occur. Institute measures to mitigate unfavorable foreign currency exchange exposure.
- Promote efficient and innovative solutions to cash management based on current trends. Such solutions might include electronic banking and mobile banking, when feasible and appropriate. S/he designs and implements internal controls adapted to such innovative solutions.
Subrecipients’ financial management and Capacity Building:
- Build and strengthen the capacity of subrecipients in the area of financial management. Plan and organize regular trainings and other capacity building initiatives such as exchange visits to ensure thjob atsubrecipients acquire and maintain the skills required to manage financial resources provided by CRS and other donors.
- Assess and regularly monitor sub recipients’ ability to safeguard financial resources entrusted to them. In addition, assess and monitor their ability to accurately record and post all financial transactions. Work closely with sub recipients to ensure thjob atthey design and implement effective internal control improvement plans.
- Ensure donors’ requirements are included in subrecipients’ agreements, and systems are in place to promote compliance.
- Maintain good working relationships with subrecipients based on mutual respect and effective communication and work closely with CR, HoOP, HOP and Program Managers to ensure coordinated and consistent partners strengthening efforts.
- Ensure subrecipient advances and liquidations are managed in accordance with the Subrecipient Financial Management Policy and the terms of the related subrecipient agreements.
- Oversee the month-end financial closure process and coordinate the timely submission of monthly financial reports to CRS/HQ and to the region.
- Ensure timely dissemination of monthly financial management reports based on the country program’s protocols. Such reports include but are not limited to budget comparison reports, aging reports, grant liability reports, efficiency reports and currency exposure reports.
- Supervise the preparation and submission of financial reports to HQ, donors and local government entities based on CRS’ policies, local laws and donors’ requirements. When required, provide background information on the nature of costs to donors and other stakeholders.
- Oversee timely and accurate financial year-end closure and submission of year-end reports.
- Monitor grant agreements to ensure spending is within obligated budgets and the approved project periods; communicate with HQ/ Finance when new agreements are signed or existing agreements are modified.
- Review and understand the financial sections of all agreements with donors to ensure financial terms are reasonable, practical, do not contradict CRS’ policies and procedures and are in CRS’ favor when possible. Proactively set up systems thjob atenable CRS to respect the agreements’ financial terms and requirements, such as special reports, supporting documents and justification of cost.
- Coordinate the submission of monthly, quarterly and final financial reports to donors in accordance with donors’ regulations or as stated in agreements and CRS’ Grant Reporting Policy. In addition, when required, ensure supporting documents are accurate, financial reports tie to the general ledger and the cost can logically and accurately be explained to donors.
- Ensure grants are set up correctly and timely in CRS’ financial systems. Analyze revenue recognition transactions to ensure the correct currencycodes, indirect cost recovery rates, and grant liability accounts are used. Proactively resolve any irregularities.
- Ensure grant liability balances are analyzed and reconciled on a regular basis. Liaise with Program Managers and/or Chiefs of Party and ensure thjob atcash due from donors is collected in accordance with CRS policies and donors’ terms and conditions.
- Lead the ongoing financial management of grants and related cost-sharesthrough timely communication with program managers, to ensure budgets are not overspent or significantly under-spent.
- Lead the timely and complete closure of all expired grants and costshares in conjunction with HQ/Finance.
- Ensure thjob atall budget management tools (SunSystems “C” ledger, commitment ledger, etc.) are used effectively to enhance grants’ management.
- Ensure commodities and other Gifts-In-Kind (GIK) are recorded and accurately stated in the general ledger, in accordance with CRS’ policies and procedures. Review and analyze commodity physical inventory reports and communicate accurate inventory numbers to HQ/Finance. In addition, analyze intra-agency entries for inventory adjustments to ensure thjob atthe inventory account(s) is/are properly stated.
Risk Management and Compliance:
- Ensure adherence to the Agency’s financial policies and procedures and compliance with all donors’financial requirements.
- Ensure internal control systems are in place and followed by all Finance Department staff and all other applicable CRS employees. Make certain thjob attools such as review checklists and process flow charts are made available to and consistently used by all appropriate staff.
- In close collaboration with the Head of Operations and other managers, conduct and document internal control assessments annually and develop action plans to address weaknesses within a reasonable time, using the Internal Control Questionnaire (ICQ).
- Liaise with the CR, Head of Operations or Equivalent and ensure thjob atauthorization charts for commitments and payments are up to date and are consistently used as reference to verify the proper approval of transaction documents.
- Ensure thjob atthere is an adequate segregation of duties among cash receipt, cash disbursement, bank reconciliation and Sun Systems maintenance functions.
- Actively engage with internal and external audit teams and ensure findings related to financial management are closed within the prescribed deadlines.
- Understand and keep abreast of changes in the local legal environment, and ensure thjob atCRS adheres to local laws thjob atpertain to taxation and other areas of financial management.
- Ensure the accuracy and timeliness of recording of risk accruals and reserves.
- Promptly apprise the Senior Management Team of any known or suspected instances of fraud or of ethical violations.
Finance Personnel Management and Overall Capacity Strengthening:
- Oversee the recruitment, training and development of a competent pool of finance staff thjob atcan effectively discharge the mandate of finance function.
- Supervise, mentor, coach finance staff. In addition, design and implement succession plans for finance staff.
- Oversee the orientation of accounting staff and project managers in relevant financial management practices, CRS policies and procedures and donors’ financial requirements.
- Encourage teamwork and facilitate job enrichment to involve team members in activities beyond their defined job descriptions. Ensure effective delegation of authority and staff capacity building within the Finance Department.
- Ensurethjob atjob descriptions for Finance employees are up to date. In addition, ensure thjob atperformance and development plans are prepared each year. Complete annual performance appraisals for supervised staff. Make these documents a useful tool for employees to maintain and improve their performance.
Representation and Confidentiality:
- Attend and actively participate during management meetings.
- Act as primary liaison with all financial institutions. Where possible, and in close collaboration with the CR, Head of Operations or Equivalent, negotiate premium customer services for CRS. Using CRS’ annual bank relationship scorecard, ensure thjob atbanks provide financial services thjob atmeet or exceed the industry standards.
- Keep all documents and information related to CRS’ program activities, personnel and development plans confidential.
Internal Key Working Relationships:
- Country Representative, HoOP, HOP, Program Managers and Chief of Party,Procurement Manager, Administrative Manager, HR Manager, IT Manager and other Support Managers, HQ Finance, DRD for Management Quality, RFO, Internal Auditors.
External Key Working Relationships:
- Banking Institutions, Government Entities, Donors, Subrecipients, Suppliers and External Auditors
- Strong leadership, management, and analytical skills.
- Strong customer service orientation and effective communication skills (good listener, positive, supportive, clear, constructive, and accessible) both written and verbal.
- Knowledge of English is required.
- Excellent skills in Excel required. Knowledge of other application software, such as Word, Visio and PowerPoint highly desired.
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to prepare training materials and to present training materials.
- Ability to learn fast and adapt quickly to change.
- Willingness to work the hours needed to meet deadlines, and work well under pressure.
- Desire to work in a collaborative and proactive team environment, but able to work independently.
- University Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field or equivalent work experience required.A professional certification in Accounting or a related field highly desired.
- Minimum of five years professional experience in a financial management position of responsibility, job atleast three of which is in a supervisory position required;
- Budgeting and budget management experience required.
- Knowledge of SunSystems financial accounting packageor similar financial reporting software highly desired.
- Proven ability to analyze reports or issues and to provide appropriate recommendations required.
- Availability to perform work assignments out of the country required.
- Sound knowledge of local law in the areas of taxation and local regulatory reporting obligations is required
- Strong knowledge of effective management practices desired
- Knowledge of the relevant public donors’ regulations will be highly desired.
Agency wide competencies:
These are rooted in the mission, values, and principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results.
- Serves with Integrity
- Models Stewardship
- Cultivates Constructive Relationships
- Promotes Learning
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should download the Application Form using the link below and send with a detailed 3-page Resume in a single file MS Word document to: NG-HR@global.crs.org
Click here to download the Application Form