We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Head of Pan-Africa Programme
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
- The main purpose of the International Programmes team is to support and develop the strategic importance of Country Programme priorities, plans and delivery.
- The Head of Pan African Program will contribute to the global leadership of WaterAid by providing strategic direction and guidance to the Pan Africa Programme. The primary purpose of the role will be to influence key stakeholders on the impact improvements to safe water and improved sanitation and hygiene can make to the poorest and most excluded in the African continent. This represents an exciting opportunity to contribute to wider poverty reduction and human development efforts by improving the effectiveness of WASH policy, financing, governance and institutions.
- The role will lead and anchor WaterAid’s work Job Vacancy atthe continental level and be responsible for developing key relationships with stakeholders which promote WaterAid’s work and contribute to a stronger WASH sector overall. Linking policy and practice to ensure thJob Vacancy atWaterAid has influential relationships with governmental and non-governmental institutions and networks will be critical.
- Building on national, regional and global level expertise will require close teamwork and collaboration with internal Regional Managers, Head of Regions, country programmes and the Global Advocacy and Programme team. Success will draw on best practice from across the globe and the lessons of WaterAid experiences to date Advocating for improved, equitable and sustainable WASH services to the poor, marginalized and excluded in Africa will require WaterAid being effectively represented Job Vacancy atcontinental events related to WASH and human development.
- Lead the implementation and continue to refine WaterAid’s Pan Africa strategy to identify the space for WaterAid to occupy and improve its influence and impact. Do this through collaboration with the Head of Regions, country programmes and Global Advocacy and programme groups.
- Ensure the successful delivery of the PAP strategy and multiyear plans through i) setting realistic targets ii) monitoring progress and budgets iii) providing quality assurance iv) developing capacity v) effective learning and knowledge management vi) programme monitoring and evaluation.
- Ensure strategies and plans link programming practice and policy to maximize our impact by drawing upon country and regional evidence.
- Maintain a strong relationship with the Global Advocacy Executive to integrate the advocacy priorities within regional plans and activities. Work closely with Heads of Regions to identify synergies between African and Global advocacy priorities e.g SDG’s, SWA, Healthy start.
- Foster strong collaboration amongst WaterAid Africa Regions and promote harmonized approaches from Africa Country Programmes, Regional and Pan Africa team.
- Scope the team resources required in the longer term. When relevant, build and lead a high performing diverse team by creating an empowering environment thJob Vacancy atenables staff to maximise their potential, promoting a culture of openness and accountability to all stakeholders.
- Promote the effective use of resources (value for money) and good financial management through effective and robust monitoring and reporting mechanisms. Add identifying/securing fundraising?
- Identify key strategic opportunities Job Vacancy atthe continental level within the WASH sector and the wider development sector thJob Vacancy atWaterAid seeks to influence. Critically assess the strategic and tactical opportunities of continental policy.
- Scan, identify and strengthen the political will in the sector to catalyse change consistent with WaterAid’s strategy.
- Represent WaterAid externally Job Vacancy atglobal and pan Africa multi sector forums; ensuring WaterAid’s vision, mission, values and aims are communicated in a compelling way.
- Lead on the development of strategic collaboration and relationships Job Vacancy atcontinental level to influence policies and practices of others, and learn from their experiences. Base partnership engagement on strategic analysis of which institutions are influential.
- Contribute as a member of the departmental Senior Management Team and global leadership team to support organisational development and strategic, thematic and learning priorities as appropriate.
- Promote a culture of learning and listening thJob Vacancy atstrives for improved practice between country programmes, the regions and across WaterAid
- Degree, professional qualification in a relevant subject (most likely Development Studies, Social Sciences, Community Health / Health Education or Civil Engineering) or equivalent experience.
- Post-graduate Degree in Development Studies, Social Sciences or management.
- Extensive experience working Job Vacancy ata senior level with strategic leadership and management responsibilities in development in Africa
- Substantial knowledge and successful track record of influencing Pan African institutions such as the AUC, AfDB, ACHPR and other relevant institutions thJob Vacancy ataffect WASH and development in Africa
- Substantial experience of building and leading high performing and diverse teams, skilled in cross cultural management
- Experience of managing teams Job Vacancy ata distance
- Current knowledge / experience of development policy and practice of key stakeholders in the region such as governments, donors, regional and continental bodies and networks.
- Successful track record of policy influencing and advocacy Job Vacancy atnational, regional and/or continental levels
- Proven experience of strengthening networks Job Vacancy atregional and/or continental level.
- Experience of institutional strengthening within local/national NGO environment
- Experience in the WASH sector
- Experience of working for an international NGO or development agency
- Affiliations or memberships in other forums/institutions with similar focus
- Understanding of operations of key institutions such as the AfDB and AUC
- Specific experience in one of WaterAid’s key thematic areas – Urban, Sanitation, Equity & Inclusion and Water Resource Management.
- Experience of leading change management.
- Experience of development project work in both rural and urban settings for the poor
Knowledge and skills
- Ability to develop organisational strategies and translate this into plans and budgets
- Ability to plan own work, setting priorities and completing them under pressure or when faced with competing demands
- Financial acumen and budget management skills
- Political acumen and analysis
- Spoken and written language fluency in English
- Excellent communication skills which includes the ability to communicate strategic purpose and vision
- Working knowledge of Microsoft office
- Working knowledge of either Portuguese or French
- Other language skills prevalent in southern Africa.
- Evidence of a strong commitment to improve lives of the poor through targeted development work
- Promotes diversity, equity and inclusion
- Creates trust in others
- Empowering leadership style, with the ability to work collaboratively within and across teams
- Delivery focused, holding self and others to account
- Able to take appropriate decisions when due, confronting and resolving difficult situations where needed
- Committed to continuous personal development, with the ability to coach others and maximise their potential
- Inspires ambitious change.
Application Closing Date
26th September, 2016.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV’s and a cover letter (one page maximum) to: email@example.com using RSA – West Africa as the subject of your email.
- In order to apply for this role, you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in Ethopia and Nigeria.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, and they must be ready to go through an extensive selection process.