The College of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences (HASS) International PhD / Postdoctoral Scholarship (HIPS) 2017 is now open to Singapore students.
The scholarship aims to encourage outstanding students of Singapore to pursue an academic career in the humanities, arts and social sciences at the Nanyang Technological University (NTU), by supporting their doctoral studies / fellowship abroad.
The Nanyang Technological University is an autonomous university in Singapore offering publicly-funded degree programmes. NTU is consistently ranked amongst the world’s best universities in all of the major college and university rankings and is regarded as one of the top 3 universities in Asia.
Course Level: Scholarship is available for PhD / Postdoctoral programme.
Study Subject: Scholarship is awarded to pursue an academic career in the humanities, arts and social sciences.
Scholarship Award: Awardees will enjoy prevailing staff benefits, including
- A starting salary of S$3,300 per month for PhD awardees, and a slightly higher amount for Postdoctoral Awardees. The latter is often subject to host university’s minimum salary requirements;
- Contributions to their Central Provident Fund (CPF) account;
- Two sets of round-trip economy class tickets between Singapore and country of study (two sets – one for commencement and completion of study; and one for mid-term passage);
- Tuition fees and other non-hostel compulsory university fees will be pegged to the tertiary institutions’ prevailing rates;
- Overseas maintenance allowance of not more than S$1,500 per month for the duration of overseas programme;
- Conference and fieldwork grants of up to S$3,000 per year for PhD Awardees and S$2,000 a year for Postdoctoral Awardees, available by application;
- Medical insurance will be covered based on standard rates of the NTU’s medical benefits scheme or as required by the host institution.
- Annual salary adjustment but not performance bonus in accordance with the prevailing regulations of the University; and
- Miscellaneous one-off allowances, stated below, with a total cost not exceeding S$5,600: a. Computer allowance; b. PhD thesis / postdoctoral research allowance; c. Settling-in allowance; d. Warm clothing allowance; and e. Excess baggage allowance.
Scholarship can be taken at Singapore and Abroad
- HIPS is open to Singaporeans only.
- The successful applicant will possess at least a Second Upper-Class Honours Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Fine Arts or Bachelor of Communication Studies degree or a Master’s degree from NTU or equivalent qualification. Undergraduate students in their final year of study may apply and may be given a provisional scholarship offer. A detailed study plan and interviews by Programme, College, and University panels will form an important part of the selection process.
Nationality: Singapore citizens can apply for these scholarships.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicant will possess at least a Second Upper-Class Honours Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Fine Arts or Bachelor of Communication Studies degree or a Master’s degree from NTU or equivalent qualification.
How to Apply: The following supporting documents should be submitted together with a completed Part I of the Application Form for HASS International PhD / Postdoctoral Scholarship
- Applicant’s latest curriculum vitae (which should include details on any teaching experience at undergraduate and above levels of studies) and publication list, if available;
- An abstract of any thesis previously written;
- Copies of 2 or 3 pieces of research/design work that the applicant considers to be his/her most significant works;
- A proposal of at least 2 research topics which he/she intends to pursue, with a minimum of a half-page write-up on the details of each proposed topic.
- A copy of applicant’s NRIC;
- A copy each of the detailed results/transcripts of the following examinations: GCE ‘O’ & ‘A’ Levels / School & Higher School Examinations and University degree(s)
- A copy each of the following certificates: GCE ‘O’ & ‘A’ Levels / School & Higher School Examinations and University degree(s)
- A copy of the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record
- Examination (GRE) score sheet, if applicable;
- A copy of the letter(s) of offer from each university applied to for admission to graduate
- programme / postdoctoral fellowship;
- A copy of the letter(s) of offer for other scholarships and/or awards applied for and the outcome of these applications; and
- A minimum of 2 confidential referees’ reports, to be sent either in hardcopy or through email.
Application Deadline: The application deadline is on 31 December 2016.