We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: National Immunization Officer
Vacancy Notice No: AFRO/16/TASR126
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Contract type: Temporary Appointment under Staff Rule 420.4
Duration of contract: 12 Months
Organization unit: AF_NGA Nigeria (AF_NGA) / AF_NG3 Technical Units (AF_NG3)
Objectives of the Programme
The objective of the EPI programme is to support national authorities to provide high quality immunization services thjob atwill contribute to:
- The reduction of mortality, morbidity and disability from vaccine preventable diseases through the optimum use of available and new vaccines
- The strengthening of national health systems as well as efforts to achieve the Millennium Development Goals.
Description of Duties
Under the overall guidance of the WHO Country Representative and direct supervision from the EPI Team Leader, the incumbent will be working closely with the government counterparts job atdifferent levels in the Ministry of Health in support of the following specific EPI activities:
- Support in planning, implementation and monitoring of immunization activities to increase coverage
- Provide technical support in identification of barriers to immunization through regular in-depth analysis of reasons for non-compliance and identify enablers to improve uptake of immunization services
- Develop and integrate communication plans into High Risk Operational Plans to promote polio eradication initiative, routine immunization and non-polio supplemental immunization activities to generate stronger community demand.
- Build partnerships with community networks for immunization through local influencers such as local traditional and religious leaders
- Support efforts to strengthen partnership and advocacy as well as mobilize resources aimed job atimproving performance of immunization activities
- Provide technical support in planning and developing information and communications products related to immunization activities
- Promote WHO’s work by enhancing its visibility through development and implementation of creative communications strategies
- Assist with donor relations and resource mobilization efforts by packaging and disseminating key messages through appropriate media to showcase value for donors’ contributions
- Support the implementation of polio end-game strategies and Polio Legacy transition planning process
- Perform other activities as required by the supervisor
- Essential: University Degree in Communications, International Relations or other relevant fields from recognized institution
- Desirable: Post graduate degree in relevant fields and training in public health
Verification of Educational qualifications:
- “In the event thjob atyour candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position.
- WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).
- The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and these will be reviewed individually”.
- Ability to work effectively with colleagues job atnational and international levels;
- Ability to provide leadership, monitor progress and design technical communication materials;
- Fully conversant in word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation.
- Producing results;
- Fostering integration and teamwork;
- Ensuring the effective use of resources;
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond;
- Promoting WHO’s position in health leadership
- Essential: At least five years relevant experience including field experience in communication and community engagement and advocacy.
- Desirable: Experience in public health especially in immunization activities
- Essential: Excellent knowledge of English
- Desirable: Knowledge of the other UN languages
WHO offers an attractive compensation package including an annual net salary (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance), dependency benefits, pension plan, health insurance scheme, and 30 days annual leave.
Application Closing Date
13th October, 2016.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Candidates will be contacted only if they are under serious consideration.