We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: National Surveillance Officer
Vacancy Notice No: AFRO/16/TASR127
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Contract type: Temporary Appointment under Staff Rule 420.4
Duration of contract: 12 Months
Organization unit: AF_NGA Nigeria (AF_NGA) / AF_NG3 Technical Units (AF_NG3)
Objectives of the Programme
The objective of the EPI programme is to support national authorities to provide high quality immunization services thjob atwill contribute to:
- The reduction of mortality, morbidity and disability from vaccine preventable diseases through the optimum use of available and new vaccines and
- The strengthening of national health systems as well as efforts to achieve the Millennium Development Goals.
Description of Duties
Under the overall guidance of the WHO Country Representative and direct supervision from the EPI Team Leader, the incumbent will be working closely with the government counterparts job atdifferent levels in the Ministry of Health in support of the following specific EPI activities:
- Provide technical expertise in planning and monitoring of integrated disease surveillance and response activities.
- Provide technical expertise in effective planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of supplemental immunization activities (e.g. polio, measles, etc.) to improve quality.
- Provide technical expertise in planning, implementation and monitoring of routine immunization activities to increase coverage.
- Provide guidance and training on planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, using SIAs, routine immunization and surveillance data to drive programme decisions
- Establish a reporting network to strengthen AFP surveillance
- Monitoring the completeness and timeliness of surveillance reports
- Participate with other partners in identifying and advocating to influential community leaders to ensure programme ownership and community participation
- Support in timely compilation and submission of periodic and incidental program progress reports.
- Support efforts to strengthen partnership and advocacy as well as mobilize resources aimed job atimproving performance of immunization activities
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- Essential: University degree in Medicine (MBBS, MBChB, MD) from recognized institution
- Desirable: Post graduate degree in Public Health preferably in epidemiology or other related public health fields
Verification of Educational qualifications:
- “In the event thjob atyour candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position.
- WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).
- The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and these will be reviewed individually”.
- Ability to work effectively with colleagues job atnational and international levels;
- Ability to provide leadership, monitor progress and design studies;
- Fully conversant in word-processing, spreadsheet, database, presentation, epidemiological (Epiifo) and mapping software.
- Producing results;
- Fostering integration and teamwork;
- Ensuring the effective use of resources;
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond;
- Promoting WHO’s position in health leadership
- Essential: At least seven years public health experience including two years field experience in planning, training and implementation of EPI activities
- Desirable: Technical expertise in public health, epidemiology, disease control and immunization
- Essential: Excellent knowledge of English
- Desirable: Knowledge of the other UN languages
WHO offers an attractive compensation package including an annual net salary (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance), dependency benefits, pension plan, health insurance scheme, and 30 days annual leave.
Application Closing Date
13th October, 2016.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Candidates will be contacted only if they are under serious consideration.