Job Title: Operations Manager
Job Reference: 1147
Location: Port Harcourt
Function: Operations & Production
- Oversees all operational activities to ensure high quality and optimized service delivery.
- Acts as the second or escalation point-of-contact and interface on all vessel operations matters.
- Manages all the vessel charter contracts from on-hire to the point of off-hire.
- Ensures the attainment of set operational efficiency and quality targets.
- Optimises fleet capacity utilisation and standardization
- Investigates new opportunities for deriving value from marine services competencies.
- Supervises Operations and Vessel budget preparation and required management reports on operational budget performance.
- Controls the assigned budget and actively seek operational leverage to increase cost efficiency.
- Carries-out operational budget analysis for management and ensures compliance with budget.
- Reviews monthly operational budget results, implements monthly variance reporting as compared to budget and advice on expenditure trends.
- Creates an environment for performance and continuous improvement of budgets, safety and staff.
- Develops and maintains internal controls and policies for an effective operations system.
- Ensures the strategic plan is implemented by managing a safe, efficient marine services operation thjob atserves the needs of internal and external clients.
- Provides daily, weekly and monthly reports as requested by the management or the client.
- Develops policies and systems, designed to achieve the mission of the Company and comply with all marine regulatory, safety and classification society requirements.
- Deals with non-conformities covering ship and shore based operations.
- Provides full cooperation to regulatory bodies regarding marine and technical operations.
- Develops and progresses the new-build strategy and provides input to contract concept selection
- Plans budgets and schedules for fleet maintenance and ensures strict compliance.
- Supervises the preparation of Vessels for Class and Flag State Surveys.
- Enforces a zero downtime preventive vessel maintenance policy regime.
- Supervises all the company’s’ marine shipboard quality. safety and environmental procedures and policies to ensure compliance with ISM code and other international regulations and procedures.
- Provides all the necessary support to ensure timely port turnaround and shipyard repair activities.
- Monitors/rectifies non-compliance to vessel operating and SMS procedures.
- Manages planned and non-routine maintenance and repairs are carried out and concluded within agreed timelines and budgets.
- Prepare executive summary reports on vessel operations for Executive Management.
- Evaluates all marine or technical vendors for service quality and recommendations to executive management
- Coordinates all Charter audits
- Interfaces with vessel owners and charterers on all contractual, marine and nautical matters, and pro-actively develops Client relations.
- Trains the operations staff (where applicable) to effectively act as a redundancy.
- Higher education with Bachelor or Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or Naval Architecture
- Internationally recognized shipping qualification
- Minimum of 7 years’ cognate technical operations role experience in the marine sector
- At least 2 years’ previous experience as a Technical Superintendent, or in a Senior Engineering/ Naval
- Architecture position in the Marine Industry is preferred
- Candidates who have previously sailed job atsea as Chief Engineer have an equal chance.
- Knowledge of related responsibilities documents and procedures, such as HSEQ, IMS Systems, OVID inspections, SOLAS-IMO, internal audits and vessel trails
- Expert knowledge of PMS Planned maintenance system
- Knowledge of Client related inspections and operational Internal audits of Vessels and Barges
- Knowledge of vessel trials including DP1-2 trials
- Thorough understanding of the ISM Code
- Thorough understanding of Diesel Electric propulsion systems
- Knowledge of Ship building and ship docking–drawings/work scopes
- Knowledge of Class Certification
- Proven ability to create best practice technical procedures and policies
- Proven Specification Writing/Management skills
- Proven Budget Management skills
- Proven Contract Management skills
- Proven Performance and career management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Thorough working knowledge of Class/Salvage and Regulatory legislation for Marine Operations
- Capable of making decisions and giving directions to facilitate prompt service delivery
- Ability to work well with a team and also independently without significant supervision
- An ability to develop creative and effective solutions to problems. Capable of thinking outside the box
- Honesty and professional integrity
- Customer-centricity and responsiveness
- Pleasant disposition with the capability to be authoritative when necessary
- Clear and effective oral and written communication skills in English Language
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply online