Job Title: Rector
- By virtue of the Delta State Polytechnic, Ozoro Law (2002), the Rector is a Principal Officer and is the Chief Academic and Executive Officer of the Polytechnic and shall be responsible for the day to day administration of the affairs of the Polytechnic.
- He is also the ex-officio chairman of Academic Board, congregation and Convocation.
The person to be appointed as Rector must not only have a good education, his academic standing and reputation must be very high and must have a good track record of accomplishment in the academic)professional field and/or in public service generally. In addition, he must:
- Be a distinguished scholar not below the rank of Chief Lecturer in a Polytechnic or Senior Lecturer in the University. His area of academic expertise must be related to at least one of the Disciplines in the Polytechnic.
- Command the respect of both the national and international academic communities.
- Have a feasible plan for the development of the Polytechnic in line with the set vision, mission and philosophy of the Polytechnic.
- Possess the drive and ability to attract external funding and creativity to generate internal revenue.
- Be in excellent physical and mental health.
- Possess the ability to provide sound academic and administrative leadership.
- Demonstrate proven integrity, transparency, accountability and resourcefulness.
- Be a person of rounded character and personality with excellent interpersonal relations and ability to forge the same among staff, students and the general public.
Qualification and Experience
Interested candidates for the post should possess the following qualifications:
- A Doctorate Degree in any of the Disciplines/area of programmes offered in the Polytechnic with at least fifteen (15) years professional and administrative experience, have served as Chief Lecturer in the Polytechnic or Senior Lecturer in the University or equivalent Institutions for at least five years.
- Candidate must not be below the rank of Chief Lecturer in a Polytechnic or Senior Lecturer in a University or equivalent Institutions.
- Demonstrate ability to offer academic & administrative leadership as well as the ability to effectively discharge the duties and responsibilities of the office of the Rector.
- Evidence of scholarly publications in reputable journals as well as presentation of papers at educational Conferences, Seminars and/or Workshops.
- Candidate must possess membership of reputable professional body/bodies in Nigeria and be able to command the respect and loyalty of the majority of members of staff and students of the institution.
Terms and Conditions of Service
- The Rector shall hold office for a single term of five (5) years only on such terms and conditions as may be specified in the letter of appointment and the Conditions of Service for the Delta State Polytechnic, Ozoro as approved by the Council of the Institution and the State Government.
Application Closing Date
30th January, 2017.
Method of Application
Each application should be made in twenty-five (25) copies and be accompanied by 25 copies of candidate’s curriculum vitae duly signed and dated. The curriculum vitae should be presented in the following order:
- Name in full (surname first and in capital);
- Place and date of birth;
- State of Origin and Nationality;
- Marital Status; number and ages of children;
- Current postal/contact addresses (with phone numbers(s) and e-mail address);
- Permanent addresses;
- Institutions attended with dates;
- Educational qualifications with dates;
- Professional qualifications with dates;
- Membership of professional bodies;
- Distinctions and awards with dates;
- Statement of work experience including full details of former and present posts;
- Postgraduate supervision;
- Academic related services to the nation and tertiary institution system;
- Important academic conferences/workshops/courses attended with dates;
- Publications (thesis, books, monographs and published articles);
- Technical reports;
- Present employment status, salary and employer;
- Extra curricular activities;
- Report of Medical Fitness (from a Government Hospital).
- Names and addresses of 3 referees (one of whom must be in candidate’s field of study).
Candidates are also to enclose their Vision and Mission Statement for the Polytechnic of not more than 1,000 words.
Each referee should be requested by the applicant to forward direct to the Chairman, Governing Council, a confidential report on the candidate’s character, academic and managerial abilities in a properly sealed envelope marked: “Post of the Rector, Referee’s Report” at the top left hand corner of the envelope.
All applications, supporting documents and referees’ report must be submitted by hand under confidential cover, or through courier delivery to:
The Chairman, Governing Council,
C/o Office of the Registrar,
Delta State Polytechnic,
The sealed envelope(s) containing the applications should be marked “Post of Rector” at the top left hand corner.
Note: Only shortlisted candidate will be contacted.