We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Security Coordinator
Ref No: INT2858
Location: Maiduguri with frequent travel
Job Family: Property/Logistics
Reports To: Country Director
Contract Type: Fixed term 3 months with possibility of extension
Hours: Full time
- To work with others to overcome poverty, stress and suffering
- To ensure Oxfam has the management, technical and logistical capacity to scale up and to respond rapidly to major humanitarian emergencies and development anywhere in the world.
- To serve as an advisor to the Country Director on safety and security related issues.
- Carries out a range of responsibilities related to the safety and security of all staff, eligible dependents, eligible partners and contractors, resources, assets, facilities, programmes, and projects and ensures compliance with all Oxfam security policies, procedures and regulations. Ensure thjob atCountry Security
- Management Plan as well as Standard Operating Procedures are developed, implemented, monitored and reviewed regularly; To support and help the in Country Safety and Security Officer with the day to day management of safety and security for Oxfam in NE Nigeria LCB Response.
- Support the overall security management of the Country Team.
- Safety and Security budget and all costs related to guards and other security related functions or work
- The position is based on the need to build and sustain long-term safety and security risk reduction capacity within the Oxfam’s programmes in N E Nigeria.
- Reports, analyses and communicates current socio-political context and the security situation and the wider context (country, region, global trends as applicable).
- Develops and maintain up-to-date context analysis and risk assessment.
- Develops and maintain an incident reporting system and ensuring thjob atthe incident register is updated regularly.
- Undertakes regular and ad hoc security assessment missions as necessary, in order to gather information and to analyse the overall security situation in existing and potential areas of Oxfam intervention.
- Supports security assessments of new programme areas in the NE working directly with field teams and input as requested to proposal development.
- Conducts ongoing threjob atassessments and compile s daily/weekly situation reports/monthly security analysis and ensures thjob atthe information is shared on a timely manner.
Security management and support:
- Design/update reliable safety and Security Management System/Standard Operating Plans/Contingency Plans
- Under the direction of the Country Director manages the implementation of a comprehensive security and business continuity management system taking cognisance of the evolution of situations.
- Ensures thjob atall safety and security management systems are in line with existing Oxfam security policy, protocol and approach.
- Effectively manages the role of the security officers and third party security personnel by ensuring thjob atappropriate delegation and task allocation
- Supports the Country Director and other senior staff to determine and address security issues as they arise.
- Supports the program staff in planning and implementing risk mitigation strategies (acceptance, deterrence, protection) in order to improve safety and security.
- Provides crisis management support (evacuation and hibernation) as required
- Ensures thjob atappropriate safety and security systems are in place to provide timely and accurate security information to all staff members and visitors.
- Updates induction documents with respect to security; identifies organisational training safety and security training needs and coordinates required trainings for staff, security officers and third party security personnel’s.
- Ensures thjob atstaff members have the security skills and awareness thjob atare required for effectiveness especially in areas of accident prevention, safety, health and occupational hazards by planning and facilitate appropriate learning and development opportunities.
- Assists and leads security and emergency related training in the field
- Builds and maintains close contacts with all relevant stakeholders to gather reliable security information, facilitate the sharing of best practices and the adoption of an integrated approach where possible.
- Attends security & emergency related briefings and meetings and share security related information accordingly.
- Interfaces with, and coordinates the support of, third party security and risk management service providers.
- Collaborates with Field Office and Field Operations teams to determine and address security issues in the field as they arise;
Educational Qualification and Experience
- University degree in Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Science or related discipline
- At least 5 years’ INGO/UN safety and risks management experience and proven leadership experience of security assessment, planning and implementation of procedures in the context of UN or NGO humanitarian operations.
- Familiarity with operational and security practices for high threjob atenvironments.
- Experience in liaising with communities, civilians, police and/or military government authorities as well as with regional institutions preferred.
- Experience in humanitarian operations, preferably within the field of information management as related to security management and operational planning
- Proven experience of delivering field based trainings.
Skills and Competence:
- Proven practical experience of security management in a complex, conflict, humanitarian context.
- Proven influencing and negotiating skills with internal and external audiences including in complex and stressful circumstances.
- Ability to advise and support field staff in a consultative manner.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, together with the capacity to remain calm under pressure and not lose sight of strategic priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with ability to work in a systematic and organized manner with good attention to accuracy and details.
- Ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality of privileged and sensitive information.
- A sound understanding of the importance of gender.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and the ability to work with a diverse set of staff job atdifferent levels within the organisation
- Strong report writing, analytical skills with good usage of computers and office software packages (Ms. Word, Excel, etc.)
- Willingness to travel job atshort notice, and often in difficult circumstances.
- This job description is not incorporated in the employment contract. It is intended as a guide and should not be viewed as an inflexible specification as it may be varied from time to time in the light of strategic developments and following discussion with the post holder.
- The post holder will be expected to work to agreed objectives which should facilitate achievement of the responsibilities in accordance with the performance review process.
Salary Level: C1
Application Closing Date
7th October 2016.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online