WFP is seeking individuals with experience working in culturally sensitive, remote, and complex environments, to fill the position below job atthe P4 level, based in Maiduguri, Nigeria:
Job Title: Vulnerability Analysis Mapping (VAM) Officer
Under the general supervision and guidance of the Deputy Country Director, the VAM Officer will be responsible for the following key duties:
- Provide expert advice and support WFP and its partners on matters pertaining to food security and nutrition strategies, policies, programmes, and ensure the timely and productive use of related outputs in a manner thjob atcomplies with WFP standards and processes.
- Contribute to the development of systems and tools for the monitoring and assessment of food assistance needs in line with innovative methodologies and best practice.
- Lead/conduct complex food security, nutrition, markets and resilience analysis and prepare timely reports on food assessment needs in line with wider VAM policies, processes and guidance to enable effective decision-making on the development of Country strategy, policies and programmes.
- Keep up to date with and advise on food assistance developments and issues and the potential impact upon WFP activities to enable timely and appropriate programme evolution and intervention.
- Provide advice and guidance on the development of programme activities, providing technical analysis, interpretation and recommendations to enable food assistance needs to be met effectively.
- Coordinate and/or provide technical support on global/regional/country initiatives to implement VAM activities.
- Lead operational partnerships, including inter-agency collaboration, to ensure a solid VAM support in both emergency and non-emergency settings.
- Manage VAM team, providing coaching and guidance as required to ensure appropriate development and enable high performance.
- Support the monitoring and evaluation of WFP activities, providing technical analysis, interpretation and information as required to support the assessment of activity impact.
- Represent WFP during meetings with partners to contribute to technical discussions, exchange of knowledge and experience, advocate for appropriate interventions (based on an evidence base), and identify areas for potential collaboration.
- Build capacity of WFP staff, partners and national government to conduct food security, nutrition, markets and resilience analysis to effectively inform preparedness and response activities.
- Provide leadership and support to relevant partners thjob atare focusing on food security and nutrition to enable sharing of experience, lessons learned and best practice.
- Take responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives in all areas of work, to ensure equal participation of women and men.
- Act in an assigned emergency response capacity as required to meet emergency food assistance needs.
- Other as required.
Qualifications & Experience Required
- Advanced University degree in Economics, Food Security, Statistics, Data Science, Public Health/Nutrition, Geography or other related field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
- At least eight (8) years of progressively responsible professional post graduate experience, including job atleast 3 years of international experience.
- Developed a high-performing team and managed vulnerability analysis exercises including emergency assessments job atcountry level;
- Use knowledge of country and cultural context in assessing food availability, access and utilization, and exposure to risks;
- Established food security and vulnerability monitoring systems;
- Led surveys, multiple assessments in countries, including the design, data collection and analysis
- Experience in both development and humanitarian contexts is an added advantage.
Terms and Conditions
- Selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one year and eligible for the Rest and Recuperation (R&R) scheme.
- He/she will be required to travel abroad sometime to remote and difficult locations.
- WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, pension plan, and medical insurance. For more details please visit: icsc.un.org
Application Closing Date
30th September, 2016.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Candidate should click on the link above
- Step 1: Register and create your online CV.
- Step 2: Click on “Description” to read the position requirements and “Apply” to submit your application.
- You must complete Step 1 and 2 in order for your application to be considered for this vacancy.
- Qualified African national and female applicants are especially encouraged to apply.