We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Health Financing Advisor
Report to: The Program Director
- The Health Financing Advisor will lead the development and implementation of activities that support the Government of Nigeria and State governments in Nigeria to implement health financing reforms and develop sustainable health financing strategies to support their universal healthcare coverage goals.
- This position will be funded under a large donor funded health system strengthening programme in Nigeria.
- R4D is seeking a Health Financing Advisor to serve as the strategic thought leader providing senior advisory support to key government leaders and institutions leading healthcare financing reforms at the federal and state levels in Nigeria.
- The Advisor will lead the development and implementation of a new health financing program, ensuring impactful results by leveraging R4D’s global expertise and technical strengths to generate lasting systemic change.
- As a senior member of R4D’s health financing team, the Advisor will work with governmental and non-governmental partners and stakeholders to co-create sustainable financing strategies that will support the federal and state governments’ goals towards achieving universal health coverage for Nigerians.
- S/he will lead the provision of technical assistance support to federal and state agencies implementing health financing reform; provide technical oversight and provide input on the development of evidence generation and analytical activities that support the implementation of social health insurance schemes; facilitate the domestication of evidence to guide the design of state-based demand side financing schemes; support the development of sustainable health financing strategies for federal and state governments; and provide programmatic oversight to state-based staff supporting health financing reform activities ensuring that activities supported are executed at a high-level and with impactful results.
The responsibilities in this position include, but are not limited to:
- Lead the development and implementation of technical assistance, and capacity building support related to domestic resource mobilization, pooling, resource allocation and strategic purchasing to federal partners.
- Lead and coordinate project activities that support the development financing strategies for Universal healthcare by the Government of Nigeria.
- Lead and facilitate broad-based engagement with stakeholders supporting broad health financing reform activities at the federal level.
- Participate in technical working group activities and other stakeholder forums on health financing activities at FMOH, NHIS, and NHIS.
- Provide technical oversight of state-based health financing reform activities supported by the project.
- Provide technical input and quality assurance support on the development of analytic and evidence generation products to support the design of demand side financing options.
- Ensure financial sustainability and viability of the project through budget oversight and on-time completion of project activities.
- Master’s degree in Health Economics, or Public Health with a health financing focus
- At least 8 years of relevant work experience in health financing and health economics
- Proficiency in STATA/SAS or another statistics software is highly desirable, or may be substituted by exceptional command of Excel
- Fluent command of English
- Strong and compelling written/verbal communication skills and ability to develop and give high impact presentations
- Track record of leading and conducting research activities including quantitative and qualitative analyses, developing high impact and high visibility technical reports, and policy briefs and presentations
- Proven experience working with a variety of stakeholders implementing health reforms globally and in Nigeria, and in the Northern States preferred
- Experience working with the Federal Ministry of Health and its agencies, donor and implementing agencies
- Experience and knowledge of the Basic Healthcare Provision Fund
- Experience working on large scale, multi-partner, donor funded and/or government projects in Nigeria, and in the Northern states is highly desired
- Relevant work experience in a research institution, government, bilateral or multilateral development agency, consulting firm, NGO, or think tank
- Experience supporting the development of demand side financing reform activities
- Familiarity with existing regulations and framework around health care financing reform in Northern states, as well as nationally is a plus
- Experience leading a diverse technical team located in different geographical regions
- Ability and willingness to work and travel to fragile states as needed
Application Closing Date
26th April, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: This position is contingent on proposal funding. Nigerian nationals are encouraged to apply. This position includes a Nigerian benefits package and does not include international relocation or expatriate benefits.