Action Against Hunger works to save lives by combating hunger and diseases that threaten the lives of vulnerable communities, through nutrition, food security, water and sanitation, health and advocacy.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Infant and Young Child Feeding Assistant (Maternity Cover)
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Type: Full Time
- The position is based in Maiduguri, Borno state and work under the supervision of the Infant and Young Child Feeding Officer.
- The IYCF Assistant will support the IYCF Officer in conducting rapid/detailed assessment of infant and young child feeding practices in mothers/care givers at mobile clinics.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Counselling the pregnant women for the preparation of breastfeeding and colostrum feeding. One to One tailored IYCF counselling sessions to all mothers with children under 24 months.
- Represent ACF and the program within the community.
- Conduct education sessions within the surrounding community on the importance of IYCF practices in conjunction with community mobilisers.
- Aid in establishing mother to mother support groups (Community Health Groups – CHGs) within the community to provide additional support for mothers and extend knowledge of good IYCF practices.
- Building effective liaison with government staff and involving them into IYCF care practices even in cooking demonstration (where applicable).
- Minimum of Diploma in a Nutrition or Community Based Programming or related field.
- Minimum of 1 year work experience in CMAM, IYCF and community mobilization in humanitarian contexts (conflict/insecure contexts).
- Ability and willingness to frequently travel to villages and stay at the field.
- Willingness and capacity to be flexible and accommodating when faced with difficult and frustrating working conditions like long distance walking to screening sites.
- Capacity to supervise and coach health workers.
- Ability to work in an environment where there are physical discomforts associated with change in weather or discomforts associated with noise, dust or dirt.
- Professional, motivated, open, creative, mature, responsible, flexible and, culturally sensitive.
- Excellent team, budget and project management and representation competencies.
- Proficiency with local languages (Kanuri, Fulani, Hausa) and English.
Application Closing Date
24th September, 2018.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This advert may close before the due date once we receive applications from qualified candidates
- Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.